Tuesday, March 27, 2012

binding SQL server to localhost?

Greetings all,
I am a network security professional rather than a MS SQL admin, so I
apologize in advance if this is a bit of a basic question for this
list. I know an admin setting up a SQL server that will only be
accesible by a webserver running on the same host (not happy about
running private vs publicly avaialable services on the same host , but
it's what we've got). As such, I'd like to recommend to him that the
SQL server only listen on the localhost ip, 127.0.0.1, thereby making
it inaccesible to the outside world. I looked around the MS
knowledgebase but couldn't find a clear document stating how to do
this. Is it even possible? Is there a better option for this
configuration?
Thanks,
Brian
You propably need to firewall the server then.
HTH, Jens Suessmeyer.
http://www.sqlserver2005.de
<tinbox@.nyct.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:1114053613.247153.87700@.o13g2000cwo.googlegro ups.com...
> Greetings all,
> I am a network security professional rather than a MS SQL admin, so I
> apologize in advance if this is a bit of a basic question for this
> list. I know an admin setting up a SQL server that will only be
> accesible by a webserver running on the same host (not happy about
> running private vs publicly avaialable services on the same host , but
> it's what we've got). As such, I'd like to recommend to him that the
> SQL server only listen on the localhost ip, 127.0.0.1, thereby making
> it inaccesible to the outside world. I looked around the MS
> knowledgebase but couldn't find a clear document stating how to do
> this. Is it even possible? Is there a better option for this
> configuration?
> Thanks,
> Brian
>

No comments:

Post a Comment