Sunday, March 25, 2012

Binary sort order and clustering

I am trying to create a four node cluster. One of my instances has a Binary
sort order. The SQL Server cluster install and SP4 worked. Now I am tryin
g
to add additional drives for SQL Server to use. I am able to do this for my
case insensitive instances, and those SQL Server instances can see the
drives.
On the Binary instance, once I add the drive and try to bring the instance
back online, SQL Server will not come back up. In cluster manager, the
status just says "Online Pending".
If I go to the services applet and try to start it, I get a message the the
service started and stopped. The instance will failover to another node.
The error log actually looks like SQL Server is still running, and I can see
sqlservr.exe in Task Manager. I can also connect to it using Query Analyzer
.
When I run this: "select * from ::fn_servershareddrives()", the correct
drive letters show up in the results. From Enterprise Manager, It looks lik
e
the instance is stopped. I can also navigate to the drive.
Has anyone successfully clustered a case sensitive instance? What could I
be doing wrong?Never mind. It was something besides adding the drive and nothing to do with
the collation.
"Kathi Kellenberger" wrote:

> I am trying to create a four node cluster. One of my instances has a Bina
ry
> sort order. The SQL Server cluster install and SP4 worked. Now I am try
ing
> to add additional drives for SQL Server to use. I am able to do this for
my
> case insensitive instances, and those SQL Server instances can see the
> drives.
> On the Binary instance, once I add the drive and try to bring the instance
> back online, SQL Server will not come back up. In cluster manager, the
> status just says "Online Pending".
> If I go to the services applet and try to start it, I get a message the th
e
> service started and stopped. The instance will failover to another node.
> The error log actually looks like SQL Server is still running, and I can s
ee
> sqlservr.exe in Task Manager. I can also connect to it using Query Analyz
er.
> When I run this: "select * from ::fn_servershareddrives()", the correct
> drive letters show up in the results. From Enterprise Manager, It looks l
ike
> the instance is stopped. I can also navigate to the drive.
> Has anyone successfully clustered a case sensitive instance? What could I
> be doing wrong?
>

No comments:

Post a Comment