Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Bind my own DataSet that I get in my WebApp and show in the Reporting Services - is it pos

All,
Does anybody know if I can bind my own DataSet dynamically getting it in my
WebApp and show it in the Reporting Services using the services as a
formatter/viewer of this DataSet - is it possible?
Or all I can do with the RS 2000 is just a new VD for each new report and I
have to use this URL to show anything from my app? I didn't see anything
helpful allowing us to integrate the Reporting Services into WebApp yet on
the fly. What's the difference if the RS generates the DataSet or it's
generated by my application? The second way is much more flexible and
practical. Is it already implemented in the RS 2005? I saw the controls, but
didn't test them yet since my solution is not convertible to the VS2005 with
the new Reporting Services.
Just D.VS 2005 have two new controls. Webform and winform. You can use them in
local mode and give them the dataset. In local mode you do have more you
have to do (subforms etc).
In 2000 you would have to create a data processing extension (which would
work for either 2000 or 2005).
RS is designed as a service oriented application. You request a service and
RS implements it. You can call stored procedures easily or use SQL
statement. Pass in the parameters from your app and let RS create the
dataset.
Any particular reason you want to be passing a dataset. If you let RS handle
it then it will automatically do a lot for you. For instance, take the issue
of subreports. If you are handling the dataset then for each subreport you
need to respond to an event and generate the datasets for the subreport as
well.
Bruce Loehle-Conger
MVP SQL Server Reporting Services
"Just D." <no@.spam.please> wrote in message
news:Kk5If.13830$eR.455@.fed1read03...
> All,
> Does anybody know if I can bind my own DataSet dynamically getting it in
> my WebApp and show it in the Reporting Services using the services as a
> formatter/viewer of this DataSet - is it possible?
> Or all I can do with the RS 2000 is just a new VD for each new report and
> I have to use this URL to show anything from my app? I didn't see anything
> helpful allowing us to integrate the Reporting Services into WebApp yet on
> the fly. What's the difference if the RS generates the DataSet or it's
> generated by my application? The second way is much more flexible and
> practical. Is it already implemented in the RS 2005? I saw the controls,
> but didn't test them yet since my solution is not convertible to the
> VS2005 with the new Reporting Services.
> Just D.
>|||I've got a case where I need to bind to a dataset that I fetch. In my
case, I need to get a stored definition of a user-customized query, and
generate RDL from that definition. I then need to fill a weakly-typed
dataset to be used as the data source for the generated report.
Any reference on how to use pre-filled datasets in SRSS? I've been
searching Google and MSDN, and have so far come up short.
Thanks in advance.
Bruce L-C [MVP] wrote:
> VS 2005 have two new controls. Webform and winform. You can use them in
> local mode and give them the dataset. In local mode you do have more you
> have to do (subforms etc).
> In 2000 you would have to create a data processing extension (which would
> work for either 2000 or 2005).
> RS is designed as a service oriented application. You request a service and
> RS implements it. You can call stored procedures easily or use SQL
> statement. Pass in the parameters from your app and let RS create the
> dataset.
> Any particular reason you want to be passing a dataset. If you let RS handle
> it then it will automatically do a lot for you. For instance, take the issue
> of subreports. If you are handling the dataset then for each subreport you
> need to respond to an event and generate the datasets for the subreport as
> well.
>
> --
> Bruce Loehle-Conger
> MVP SQL Server Reporting Services
> "Just D." <no@.spam.please> wrote in message
> news:Kk5If.13830$eR.455@.fed1read03...
> > All,
> >
> > Does anybody know if I can bind my own DataSet dynamically getting it in
> > my WebApp and show it in the Reporting Services using the services as a
> > formatter/viewer of this DataSet - is it possible?
> >
> > Or all I can do with the RS 2000 is just a new VD for each new report and
> > I have to use this URL to show anything from my app? I didn't see anything
> > helpful allowing us to integrate the Reporting Services into WebApp yet on
> > the fly. What's the difference if the RS generates the DataSet or it's
> > generated by my application? The second way is much more flexible and
> > practical. Is it already implemented in the RS 2005? I saw the controls,
> > but didn't test them yet since my solution is not convertible to the
> > VS2005 with the new Reporting Services.
> >
> > Just D.
> >
> >|||If you are creating your own RDL then the way to go is to definitely get the
new controls with VS 2005. In local mode you don't need any server. You can
give the report the rdlc and the dataset.
Bruce Loehle-Conger
MVP SQL Server Reporting Services
"Kevin L." <kevin.lowe0@.gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1139862643.634896.4400@.o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...
> I've got a case where I need to bind to a dataset that I fetch. In my
> case, I need to get a stored definition of a user-customized query, and
> generate RDL from that definition. I then need to fill a weakly-typed
> dataset to be used as the data source for the generated report.
> Any reference on how to use pre-filled datasets in SRSS? I've been
> searching Google and MSDN, and have so far come up short.
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Bruce L-C [MVP] wrote:
>> VS 2005 have two new controls. Webform and winform. You can use them in
>> local mode and give them the dataset. In local mode you do have more you
>> have to do (subforms etc).
>> In 2000 you would have to create a data processing extension (which would
>> work for either 2000 or 2005).
>> RS is designed as a service oriented application. You request a service
>> and
>> RS implements it. You can call stored procedures easily or use SQL
>> statement. Pass in the parameters from your app and let RS create the
>> dataset.
>> Any particular reason you want to be passing a dataset. If you let RS
>> handle
>> it then it will automatically do a lot for you. For instance, take the
>> issue
>> of subreports. If you are handling the dataset then for each subreport
>> you
>> need to respond to an event and generate the datasets for the subreport
>> as
>> well.
>>
>> --
>> Bruce Loehle-Conger
>> MVP SQL Server Reporting Services
>> "Just D." <no@.spam.please> wrote in message
>> news:Kk5If.13830$eR.455@.fed1read03...
>> > All,
>> >
>> > Does anybody know if I can bind my own DataSet dynamically getting it
>> > in
>> > my WebApp and show it in the Reporting Services using the services as a
>> > formatter/viewer of this DataSet - is it possible?
>> >
>> > Or all I can do with the RS 2000 is just a new VD for each new report
>> > and
>> > I have to use this URL to show anything from my app? I didn't see
>> > anything
>> > helpful allowing us to integrate the Reporting Services into WebApp yet
>> > on
>> > the fly. What's the difference if the RS generates the DataSet or it's
>> > generated by my application? The second way is much more flexible and
>> > practical. Is it already implemented in the RS 2005? I saw the
>> > controls,
>> > but didn't test them yet since my solution is not convertible to the
>> > VS2005 with the new Reporting Services.
>> >
>> > Just D.
>> >
>> >
>

No comments:

Post a Comment